China has once again beat the US into submission.
The State Department backed off of talks of the US boycotting the Beijing Winter Olympics as China threatened a “robust” response.
State Department spokesman Ned Price on Tuesday said a boycott is something that the US wishes to discuss with our allies.
“It is something that we certainly wish to discuss,” Price said, “A coordinated approach will not only be in our interest but also in the interest of our allies and partners.”
On Wednesday, China threatened the US and condemned talks of a potential boycott.
“The politicization of sports will damage the spirit of the Olympic Charter and the interests of athletes from all countries,” China’s Foreign Ministry spokesman Zhao Lijian said, according to the Associated Press. “The international community including the U.S. Olympic Committee will not accept it.”
A senior US government official told CNBC the US’s position on the 2022 Winter Olympics has not changed and there was no discussion of a boycott.
“Our position on the 2022 Olympics has not changed. We have not discussed and are not discussing any joint boycott with allies and partners,” a senior official told CNBC.
This is the second time in less than one month the US State Department has backed down to China’s aggression.
Last month Biden’s team was humiliated by China’s envoy on the world stage – on American soil.
Secretary of State Antony Blinken and National Security adviser Jake Sullivan met with China’s top diplomat Yang Jiechi and State Councilor Wang Yi in Anchorage, Alaska on March 18.
China’s delegation violated the two-minute protocol and went on a 20-minute tirade, lecturing Blinken and Sullivan.
“The United States does not have the qualification to say that it wants to speak to China from a position of strength,” Yang said right to Blinken’s face.
Blinken and Sullivan sat there like a couple of stunned amateurs and took the lashing.
China envoy Yang Jiechi lectures Blinken on American soil